“To equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ …” ~Ephesians 4:12
Who Comprises Our Ministers and Congregations?
The New Castle Presbytery encompasses the entire state of Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, including the following Maryland counties: Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester. Within this jurisdiction lies:
- 48 churches and 2 new worshiping communities
- Congregant membership of 7,023 (as of 2019 statistical reporting)
- Approximately 100 pastors on our rolls
What Does the COMC Do?
The Committee on Ministers & Congregations (COMC) provides the link between our congregations, pastors and the Presbytery body. We are here to assist with:
- Pastoral transitions (Resources for COMC Liaisons and PNCs)
- COMC Guidelines & Resources
- When you need us!
What Are Its Specific Roles?
Per the NCP Manual, the COMC roles include:
- Serves as pastor and counselor to all Ministers and Commissioned Ruling Elders.
- Facilitates relationships between congregations and Ministers and Commissioned Ruling Elders.
- Counsels with sessions as invited concerning reported or observed difficulties within a congregation, including:
- Advises the session as to appropriate actions to be taken to resolve the reported difficulties
- Offers to help as a mediator
- Acts to correct the difficulties if requested to do so by the session or if the session is unable or unwilling to do so
- Follows the procedural safeguards of the Rules of Discipline and recommends to the Presbytery the appointment of administrative commissions to assume original jurisdiction in any situation in which it determines that a session is not properly exercising its authority
- Proposes annually the minimum compensation standards for pastoral calls and approve sabbaticals and mini-sabbaticals.
- Provides for periodic rounding visits (COMC liaison visit with session/pastor).
- Proposes and administers any financial support to be provided by Presbytery for Ministers.
- Approves the terms of call and contracts for Ministers.
- Approves the Commissions and contracts for Commissioned Ruling Elders (CREs) and provides ongoing supervision for them in their ministries.
- Examines and receives Ministers by transfer from other presbyteries for the purpose of accepting valid calls to ministry and/or membership in the Presbytery (see Appendix F of the NCP Manual).
- Reporting all approved Pastoral changes to the next meeting of Presbytery.
- Formally introducing pastors and CREs new to the Presbytery at the next meeting of Presbytery.
- Approving and reviewing annually the work of all Ministers engaged in validated ministries outside the congregation.
- Oversees compliance of Healthy Boundaries Training as mandated in the Prevention of Sexual Misconduct Policy. (View and register for NCP sponsored training here.)
2021 COMC Chair:
Rev. Brad Martin – Trinity Presbyterian Church, Wilmington, Delaware
[email protected]; (302) 475-5495