Why Do a Mission Study?
A Mission Study is an excellent tool to clarify who you are as a church, articulate what you stand for, explore why you operate the way you do and guide you in making decisions and setting goals for future ministry. Throughout this study, strive to:
- Focus on the positive and shaped by gratefulness to God and to each other.
- Share stories of life-giving forces within the history and experience of your congregation, in which people share times when they felt most alive, most motivated, and most excited.
- Imagine the shape of a preferred future, developing “provocative proposals,” finding common themes about “what might be” and shared images for a preferred future.
- Explore new and creative ways to manifest these imaginative futures.
4 “Do-It-Yourself” Research Strategies for Church Improvement
To help congregational leaders understand more about their church and its needs, the Presbyterian Mission Agency “do-it-yourself” research strategies for positive church improvement. These tools are particularly helpful if your congregation is conducting a mission study, preparing to call a new pastor or working on a long-range plan.
- Church Trends in Your Congregation: See how things have been changing in your congregation through a statistical summary based on the Session Annual Statistical Reports submitted to the Office of the General Assembly.
- Demographic Report: Learn about the people who live in the community around your church. The Demographic Report can help your congregation identify mission and outreach possibilities.
- Congregational Surveys: A survey can be used to build on your congregation’s unique strengths and give your congregation a picture of membership including:
- Marital status
- Average length of church membership
- Strengths and priorities of church programs
- Tools for strategic planning
- Research Strategies for Congregations: A packet of easy information gathering tools designed to help you learn more about your worshipers and your local community.
Percept is a mission study/demographic program that churches can use. New Castle Presbytery maintains a contract with Percept.
Please contact the Presbytery office to request a ministry area study.
Why use Percept Demographics?
- The only full-service demographic information company completely dedicated to church leaders
- The only faith-based demographics
- The only demographic information company
with PeopleArea geography
- Over 300 regional denominational clients
- Serving the church since 1987
- High-impact, graphic presentation of information
- High-value, unprecedented pricing
- Online ordering and digital delivery of resources
- 24/7 web access to digital resources for contract clients
- Recognized as one of The Best 100 sources of information products and services by American Demographics magazine.