PC(USA) has announced resources for the Year of Leader Formation including training hymns, monthly series/articles for serving faithfully, a webinar series for ruling elders and deacons, and more!
View full details here.
Presbytery calendar by clicking on the event name.
THIRD THURSDAY TRAINING
April 21, 2021 – Unique clerk responsibilities
May 20, 2021 – Worship Training for Elders and Deacons
June 17, 2021 – Agendas, Discernment and Moderating a Meeting
- This gathering was hosted by the Presbytery of Southern New England and provided the following resources:
July 15, 2021 – Session Personnel Guidelines
- This gathering focused on the functions and accountability to the sessions of a committee or task force and provided the following resources:
August 17, 2021, 5:00 p.m. (Tuesday this month!) – Safe Church Policies
- This gathering focused Safe Church Policies with the following resources provided:
September 16, 2021, 5:00 p.m. – Stewardship
- This gathering focused on Stewardship with the following resources provided:
October 21, 2021, 5:00 p.m. – Finance Committees/Trustees
- This gathering focused on the purpose and matters associated with Finance Committees and Trustees
December 16, 2021, 5:00 p.m. – Vital Congregations
- This gathering focused on Vital Congregations, a PC(USA) initiative.
January 20, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – Meetings of the Congregation
- This gathering focused on meetings of the congregation, including annual meetings!
February 24, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – Presbyterian Polity
- This gathering focused on an introduction to the foundations of Presbyterian polity
March 17, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – 225th General Assembly
- This gathering looked at the upcoming 225th General Assembly and explored how the General Assembly of the PC(USA) works.
- Recorded session
- No materials; recorded session shows exploration of websites regarding subject matter.
April 21, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – Church By-Laws
- This gathering looked at required elements for a church’s by-laws.
May 26, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – Denominational payments and NEW Presbytery online payment portal
- This gathering reviewed the NCP remittance form, per capita notes from Connectional Presbyter/Stated Clerk, Cindy Kohlmann and analyzed the new Presbytery online payment portal
June 16, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – Congregational Nominating Committees
- This gathering provided a review and guidance for congregational nominating committees
August 18, 2022, 6:30-8:00 p.m. – Essentials for Clerks of Session
September 15, 2022, 5:00-6:00 p.m. – Resources of the Presbyterian Foundation
- This gathering explored the fabulous free (!) resources available through the Stewardship Navigator with Rev. Ellie Johns-Kelley, Presbyterian Foundation Ministry Relations Office for the Allegheny and Chesapeake Region.
October 20, 2022, 5:00-6:00 p.m. – Ministry in the 21st Century with children, youth and young adults
- This gathering featured leadership by Colleen Earp, Program Director for Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center who discussed ministry in the 21st century with children, youth and young adults.
November 17, 2022, December 15, 2022 and January 19, 2022 5:00-6:00 p.m. – Amendments to the Book of OrderA special Presbytery meeting has been called on Tuesday, February 7, 2023 beginning at 6:30 pm on Zoom for the sole purpose of considering and voting on the proposed amendments to the Book of Order that came from the 225th General Assembly. Why did we do that? Because there are 33 separate amendments, one of which is an entire revision of the Rules of Discipline!
For that reason, the next three Third Thursday Trainings will be focused on exploring those amendments so you have an opportunity to know what you’re voting on in February. Here’s the plan:
Thursday, November 17, 5-6:30 pm – Amendments to the Foundations of Presbyterian Polity and the Directory for Worship: View recorded session
Thursday, December 15, 5-6:30 pm – Amendments to the Form of Government: View recorded session
Thursday, January 19, 5-6:30 pm – Amendments to the Rules of Discipline, including the complete revision: View recorded session
These gatherings will be 90 minutes each because there’s a lot to cover and I want to be sure we have time for discussion and questions. View the GA225 Book of Amendments online: https://www.pcusa.org/resource/ga225-proposed-amendments-constitution/ Visit the NCP calendar to obtain Zoom access information by clicking on the event within the calendar.
As approved by Presbytery on September 22, 2020 and effective January 1, 2021 Dismantling Racism training shall be required at least once every three years for:
- All Ministers of Word and Sacrament who are serving as pastors to a congregation or otherwise engaged in a Validated Ministry.
- Commissioned Ruling Elders (CREs) and Ruling Elders elected to serve on the Committee on Ministers and Congregations (COMC) and the Committee on Preparation for Missional Ministry (CPMM). Participation is required within one year of being commissioned or elected.
- All Candidates for Ministry with flexibility to work with CPMM for alternative means to meet this requirement.
- All Presbytery staff are required to attend within one year of hire/election.
VIEW the current NCP Dismantling Racism Policy for additional information.
ANTI-RACISM TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES for 2023:
February/March 2023: Racism in America: The History we Didn’t Learn in School
- This six-week course, commencing February 6 through March 13, is an NCP approved training and offered by Racial Justice & Reconciliation Commission in the Episcopal Church in Delaware in partnership with YWCA Delaware and Westminster Presbyterian Church-Wilmington. View the program and details here.
- COMPLIANCE: Participation in at least three of the six weeks will provide 3-year compliance for NCP minister members, CREs and members of COMC and CPMM.
- REGISTER INTENTION TO PARTICIPATE: https://newcastlepresbytery.breezechms.com/form/f89009
In accordance with New Castle Presbytery’s Prevention of Sexual Misconduct Policy, every three years all minister members and CREs of the Presbytery shall also attend refresher training on the subject of prevention of clergy sexual misconduct. Such training will be offered at several locations across the Presbytery, or may be taken through another source satisfactory to the Committee on Ministers & Congregations. Training opportunities include:
- REGISTER FOR THE TRAINING, WHICH WILL BE HELD VIA ZOOM: https://newcastlepresbytery.breezechms.com/form/f8900911
- 2023 dates will be posted in the new year (via Zoom)
- An email will be distributed several days prior to the training to provide the Zoom link and the resource book will be distributed to you via email (if you requested an e-book) or via USPS mail within one week of the training.
- ALTERNATIVE TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
- Stewards of Children – Access online at: https://www.d2l.org/education/stewards-of-children/online/ . Upon completion of this approved alternate training, email a copy of the participant certificate provided at the end of training to [email protected].
- Praesidium Academy (NEW 11/2022) – Request online access to the Presbytery training center by emailing the Presbytery office: [email protected]. View requirements and details for participation.